Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Marine Registry

When www.tun-tavern.com first opened to the public on November 10, 1999, the most popular feature was a database called the Marine Registry. It was a section of the website that was interactive and allowed Marines to enter as much of their service information as they wanted to. This database could then be searched to help Marines find buddies that they served with. Over the years the database grew to hold over 3,800 Marines in it.

In 2005, the server the site was hosted on was upgraded by the hosting company. The upgrade caused the database-driven Marine Registry to stop functioning. I intended to find the problem, fix it, and get the database running again. However, my other commitments have precluded me from doing that.

I was recently introduced to another Marine website that functions much like the Marine Registry did and even has some features that I had planned to add plus a few more. I registered on that site and immediately found over a dozen Marines that I had served with previously. Since I am not able to repair the Marine Registry and get it online again, I decided to pull all of the email addresses from the database and send an invitation to each of the Marines that registered here and let them know about this new site.

Over 2,800 invitations were sent out. Approximately 1,000 of the entries in the Marine Registry had declined to enter an email address. Some of the email addresses that were in the database may no longer be correct. To let those that did not receive the invitations know what happened, I am posting this message.

If you would like to register on the other site, please go to:
http://marines.togetherweserved.com

I will continue to post Marine-related information here as I am able.

Please note that the Marines Together We Served (MTWS) website is not owned or operated by me. If you have any technical difficulties or questions about that site, please contact the admin of the site, Major Wesley Prater, Ret.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home